Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Waiting - 2022 Wrap-up

Looking back over this past year, things seem a little unreal, like they happened to someone else. My wife and I both turned 40: my near-vision started to blur a little, I cut a lot of my hair off and found it was, as I suspected, thinning. I continue to forget things people say to me seconds after they say them. Nothing seems real. I'm not interested. I've been waiting for something, but I don't know what it is. Maybe for things to go back to the way they were in 2019. Maybe something else entirely. I've spent a lot of days in the forest searching for something. Jokes about death seem somehow less funny, but at the same time less serious. Even writing this, I wonder how deeply I feel any of the preceding. Everything sort of scratches the surface. I yell at strangers in traffic, but I'm not really mad. I yell at my kids for doing dumb things, but I guess I sort of get it. I curse all the time. But casually. I say all of this, not as a way of complaining, but maybe as a way of accepting my gradual slide into decrepitude. Speaking of which, here's some famous people that died this year: 

Sidney Poitier
Bob Saget
Meatloaf
Louie Anderson
Mark Lanagan
William Hurt
Taylor Hawkins
Gilbert Gottfried
Naomi Judd
Ray Liotta
James CaanOrrin Hatch
Madeleine Albright
C W McCall
Vangelis
Sonny Barger
Trevor Strnad
Shinzo Abe
Ivana Trump
Olivia Newton-John
Anne Heche
Mikhail Gorbachev
Barbara Ehrenreich
Queen Elizabeth II
Kenneth Starr
Jean-Luc Goddard
Coolio
Loretta Lynn
Angela Lansbury
Julie Cruise
Robbie Coltrane
Jerry Lee Lewis
Aaron Carter
Kevin Conroy
Gallagher
Christine McVie
Kirstie Alley
Angelo Badalamenti
Pelé
Barbara Walters
Pope Benedict XVI
Jeremiah Green


Twenty years ago, a ton of cool albums came out, and I bought many of these fresh off the presses. This is pretty unusual for me now, as I'm still seeking out and discovering music that is simultaneously new to me, and also decades old. Here are a few albums that I listened to a lot from 2002:

The Notwist - Neon Golden
Bolt Thrower - Honour, Valour, Pride
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Damien Rice - O
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Clinic - Walking with Thee
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
The Streets - Original Pirate Material
Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
Paul Westerberg - Stereo
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Tom Waits - Alice
Tom Waits - Blood Money
The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Bright Eyes - Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Breaking Benjamin - Saturate
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Beck - Sea Change
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Jets to Brazil - Perfecting Loneliness
Opeth - Deliverance


The smallest sublist on this list includes albums I acquired in the last year:

Wipers - Is This Real?
Wipers - Youth of America
Wipers - Over the Edge
Catherine Wheel - Ferment
The Verve - A Storm in Heaven
Silversun Pickups - Swoon


The books I read this past year are as follows:

Orhan Pamuk - Snow
Laura Ingalls Wilder - Little Town on the Prarie
Vincent Bugliosi - Helter Skelter
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
William T Vollman - Europe Central
Will Eisner - A Contract with God
Will Eisner - A Life Force
Will Eisner - Dropsie Avenue
Lev Grossman - The Magicians
Alexandre Dumas - The Three Musketeers
Lev Grossman - The Magician King
Stephan Dubner & Steven Levitt - Freakonomics
Anthony Bourdain - Kitchen Confidential
Stan Sakai - Usagi Yojimbo 1: The Ronin
Joe Abercrombie - Red Country
Tevis Miller - Gun-play in Killer Canyon
Craig Thompson - Goodbye, Chunky Rice
Lev Grossman - The Magician's Land
Pete Beatty - Cuyahoga
Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book Pt 1 illus. P Craig Russell
Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book Pt 2 illus. P Craig Russell
Herman Melville - Moby Dick
Michael & Debi Pearl - To Train Up a Child
Neil Gaiman - Fortunately, the Milk
trans Simon Armitage - Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Michael Morpurgo - Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Mary Roach - Gulp
Italo Calvino - Italian Folk Tales
Patrick Rothfuss - The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Isaac Asimov - Foundation
Howard Zinn - A People's History of the United States
Isaac Azimov - I, Robot
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five
Cory Doctorow - Radicalized
JRR Tolkien - The Fellowship of the Ring
Roald Dahl - James and the Giant Peach
Saul Bellow - Herzog
Richard and Wendy Pini - The Complete Elfquest Vol 1
Garth Ennis - The Boys Omnibus Vol 1
Garth Ennis - The Boys Omnibus Vol 2
Frank Herbert - Dune


I worked toward a new goal with my board game collection this year: play every game I own a minimum of ten times, or list it for sale or trade. It not only cut back on the size of the collection, but also on games I was willing to buy. If I wasn't curious enough to commit to the ten plays, I probably took it off the list of games I wanted. Here's the ones that made the cut (though a few of the following have already been sold): 

Chicago Express
Jambo
Coloretto
Dixit
Puns of Anarchy
Kingsburg
Flick 'Em Up
Pit
Anomia
Jungle Speed
Cosmic Frog
Brew Crafters
Sheriff of Nottingham

No comments:

Post a Comment